John Wooden Quotes
John Wooden was a very famous and very successful coach of the UCLA men's college basketball teams of the 1960s and 1970s. His teams won 10 national championships in 12 years. These teams had dominant players (among them Lew Alcindor, Bill Walton, Gail Goodrich, and Sidney Wicks), but they also played very solid defense and shunned mistakes.
At one stage, from 1971 to 1974, UCLA won 88 games in a row, a streak that still stands today as the greatest in college basketball.
Wooden was famous for the things he said, many of them inspirational and motivational. He even wrote a rather well-known book called The Pyramid of Success.
Here are a few of Wooden's famous sayings:
- Be quick, but don't hurry.
- Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.
- Don't mistake activity for achievement.
- What is right is more important than who is right.
- Make each day your masterpiece.
- Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them.
- Never be disagreeable just because you disagree.
on this site
Sites for Teachers