The Chocolate Chip Cookie: An Accident
The Toll House Cookie, one of the most famous inventions ever, was an accident.
Ruth Wakefield and her husband, Kenneth, owned the Toll House Inn near Whitman, Massachusetts, in the 1930s. Ruth made homemade food for her guests.
One evening in 1937, she was making butter cookies and thought she would make them all chocolate instead. She cut a bar of chocolate into tiny pieces and added them to the cookie dough. She thought that the chocolate would melt completely and she would have chocolate cookies. When the cookies came out of the oven, the chocolate hadn't melted at all! Instead, the "chocolate chips" had kept their form.
The guests loved the cookies, and people began to come to the inn just to eat the famous cookies.