Trump Wins in Nevada; Clinton Prevails in S.C.

On This Site

The 2016 Presidential Election

Share This Page

Follow This Site

Follow SocStudies4Kids on Twitter

February 28, 2016

Donald Trump continued to find strong support in the Republican Party primaries and caucuses, scoring a resounding victory in the Nevada Caucuses. Hillary Clinton scored a dominant victory in the Democratic Party primary in South Carolina.

Trump won 46 percent of the vote and secured 14 delegates. A distant second was Marco Rubio, with 24 percent of the vote and 7 delegates. Ted Cruz got 6 delegates for his 21 percent share of the vote. Ben Carson and John Kasich received 1 delegate each; neither got above 5 percent of the vote.

Trump has won all of his party’s primaries to date (scoring wins in New Hampshire and South Carolina). Cruz won in Iowa.

The running delegate count so far for the Republicans is this:

  • Trump 81
  • Cruz 17
  • Rubio 17
  • Kasich 6
  • Carson 4.

Clinton, meanwhile, won 74 percent of the vote, with Sanders taking the other 26 percent. Clinton claimed 41 delegates to Sanders' 12.

The running delegate count so far for the Democrats is Clinton 92, Sanders 63.

The race now shifts to a wider focus, with Super Tuesday on the horizon. On that day, 14 states will have their Republican primary or caucus.

A total of 2,340 delegates are up for grabs on the Republican side. The first candidate to receive the support of 1,237 delegates will achieve the nomination.

A complete list of dates for caucuses and primaries is here.

It all leads up to the major party national conventions. The Republican Party convention will be July 18–21 in Cleveland. The Democratic Party convention will be the week of July 25th in Philadelphia.

Search This Site

Custom Search

Social Studies for Kids
copyright 2002–2016
David White